Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Inspired By Disa



I had a great session with Disa yesterday who was not only a great help but very inspiring! We discussed my Action Research in depth and Disa showed me her awesome wiki which gave me lots of new ideas. I also found that I had completely forgotten about the program Comic Life. I have not used it since 2007, but since my recap session with Disa I am keen to use it again. I already have plans to integrate Comic Life into my next independent reading study on Dragons.

Two other aspects also came to light. I want to add some more reflective learning activities into my independent reading studies, especially Kath Murdoch formats as I find her material fantastic. I am also pondering exactly how I will measure the success of my action research. I know already that the children are more motivated and that I have tested them with Probe and their reading level has improved. This is great but I want to measure the depth of their understanding further. Disa and I discussed the idea of having a control group of students not involved in my study and compare the depth of their responses to that of my students. I will ponder this a bit longer and make a decision soon.

I loved how Disa had her reading activities on a wiki. I currently have my activities on a sheet which is working well but I can see the bonus of having everything on a wiki, especially adding links. This would be so much faster and easier than the children typing in web addresses from a sheet. Next week, when my third year student is on full control I am going to create a new wiki and try out this new approach. Thanks Disa!

No comments:

Post a Comment